Genetic transformation is the incorporation of naked DNA from the extracellular environment. (Note that this is a completely different process than the loss of growth regulation of a eukaryotic cell that results in tumors.)
- How was transformation discovered?
- Natural transformation
- For a nice summary of natural transformation in Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria, see http://www.mun.ca/biochem/courses/4103/topics/transformation.html
- For a good reference on the mechanism of natural transcormation, see Dubnau, D. 1999. DNA uptake in bacteria. Ann. Rev. Microbiol. 53: 217-244.
- For a good reference on the regulation of natural transcormation, see Tortosa, P., and D. Dubnau. 1999. Competence for transformation: a matter of taste. Curr. Opin. Microbiol. 2: 588-592.
- Artificial transformation
Please send comments, suggestions, or questions to email@example.com
Last modified November 3, 2003