"The goal of every molecular biologist is to reduce everything to B-galactosidase." David Botstein
- Operon and gene fusions
- Use of fusions to identify genes regulated by particular environmental conditions
- Use of fusions to identify Protein-protein interactions
- Use of fusions to study protein localization
- PhoA gene fusions
- GFP gene fusions (see Phillips G. 2001. Green fluorescent protein--a bright idea for the study of bacterial protein localization. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 204: 9-18)
SOME USEFUL GENERAL REVIEWS ON REPORTER GENES:
- Chiang SL, Mekalanos JJ, Holden DW. 1999. In vivo genetic analysis of bacterial virulence.
Annu Rev Microbiol. 53: 129-154.
- Daunert S, Barrett G, Feliciano J, Shetty R, Shrestha S, Smith-Spencer W. 2000. Genetically engineered whole-cell sensing systems: coupling biological recognition with reporter genes. Chem Rev 100: 2705-2738
A USEFUL LINK:
Click here to return to the Microbial Genetics Home Page.
Please send any comments, suggestions, or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified July 2, 2004