"A pencil is the wrench of the chromosome mechanic" John Roth
Chromosomes, DNA replication, and gene expression
Mutations and mutagenesis
Reversion and suppression
Cross-feeding, complementation analysis, and dominance
Recombination and genetic mapping
- Replication and copy number
In vitro genetic analysis
Some good sources of additional microbial genetics problems include:
- Freifelder, D. 1983. Problems for Molecular Biology. Jones and Bartlett Publishers, Boston.
- Maloy, S., J. Cronan, and D. Freifelder. 1994. Microbial Genetics (Second edition). Jones and Bartlett Publishers, Boston.
- Schleif, R. 1993. Genetics and Molecular Biology (Second edition). Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore.
- Smith-Keary, P. 1989. Molecular Genetics of Escherichia coli. Guilford Press, NY.
For more background on many of these topics, see the Microbial Genetics supplement.
Problem solving plays an integral role in teaching microbial genetics, but developing a large bank of problems is very time consuming. Thus, this web site was designed as a Co-op to provide a continually evolving collection of microbial genetics problems that could be freely used by anyone interested.
Please use any of these problems or contribute problems you think others may find useful. The only restriction is that the questions must not be copywrited. If you have any comments or would like to submit problems (send both the question and your solution) please send them via email to the address shown at the bottom of this page. Unless you indicate that you wish to remain anonymous, I will indicate your name in the problem.
Please send comments, suggestions, or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified July 2, 2004