Monday 3:00PM - 3:50PM
Schedule Number: 20411
Barbara W. Huntington, Director
Assignment #1 [Due date: September 9, 2013]
1. Print out an interest sheet stating: the field you are interested in (specialty, allopathic or osteopathic), your major, what grade level you are, and what year you plan to enter medical school
2. Obtain an AMCAS or AACOMAS application, print and submit the biographical data section. DO NOT include your social security number. You may leave your address and parental data blank, but make sure that your name is on the form. Do not submit the application to the service and remember to save your work on a flash drive!
3. Read Chapter 1 in Writing About Me
4. Submit 1/2 to 1 page on a medical specialty of your interest. Discuss the years of training required, typical work hours per week, types of patients seen, problems facing the profession, etc.
Assignment #2 [Due date: September 16, 2013]
1. Read Chapter 2 in Writing About Me and do Self Assessment Step #1 (What I have done/need to do) Worksheet pp. 6-12.
2. Complete and turn in the AMCAS or AACOMAS sections that include colleges attended, awards, honors, activities, work and volunteer activity.
Assignment #3 [Due date: September 23, 2013]
1. Personal Statement Starter 1 (1 page): Describe a personal role model. What attributes of that person do you admire? How would those attributes make a good physician?
2. Read Chapter 3 in Writing About Me and do Self Assessment Step #2 (Professional Values) Worksheet pp. 13-15.
Assignment #4 [Due date: September 30, 2013]
Read Chapter 4 in Writing About Me and do Self Assessment Step #3 (Characteristics of profession) Worksheet pp. 21-22.
Assignment #5 [Due date: October 7, 2013]
1. Write a 1/2 to 1 page paper comparing and contrasting MD (Medical Doctor) and DO (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine).
2. Read Chapter 5 in Writing About Me.
Assignment #6 [Due date: October 14, 2013]
1. Complete the AMCAS or AACOMAS section on academic records. Show all work completed, in progress, and planned.
2. Read Chapter 6 in Writing About Me.
Assignment #7 [Due date: October 21, 2013]
1. Ethics Research Paper (3 page minimum + cited sources--peer reviewed journals)
note: more information on the Ethics paper can be found on bb under course documents
Assignment #8 [Due date: October 28, 2013]
1. Read Chapter 7 in Writing About Me and complete Self Assessment Step #4 (Professional Goals) and #5 (How do I look now?) Worksheet pp. 23-24.
2. Personal Statement Starter 2 (1 page): What attributes, skills or experiences make you unique? What pivotal experience(s) made you want to be a doctor? If you don't have a specific experience, what made you decide that you want to become a doctor? How did you test your desire to become a physician (Volunteering? Research? Clinical experience? Shadowing?) Include any special instances where you felt inspired or enthusiastic about medicine.
Assignment #9 [Due date: November 4, 2013]
1. Personal Statement rough draft (3-4 pages)
note: The personal statement is required of all applying medical students. The paper will be a testament of your ambition to become a doctor and is also the preliminary opportunity medical school admission officers will have to get to know you. After you receive this back, you will resubmit with corrections as part of your final portfolio.
2. Write a one page discussion of other career paths that could be taken by someone with your training.
Assignment #10 [Due date: November 18, 2013]
Ten year paper (1-2 pages): Where do you see yourself in 10 years? (A common secondary application question.)
Where do you see yourself in ten years from the time you apply to medical school? Where is the medical field (area, specialty, location, hospital/private or group practice)? Where in your personal life? What will you have accomplished? Do you know exactly what you want to do? Why or why not? Keep an open mind when explaining where you think you will be. Don't limit your future by narrowing your options.
Assignment #11 [Due date: November 25, 2013]
Top Five Schools:
A) Choose five medical schools you would like to apply to.
B) List the requirements for each medical school. (MCAT, GPA, prerequisites, etc.)
C) What makes this school unique (special programs, research, hospitals, residencies, etc)
D) Explain why you want to go to this medical school.
Assignment #12 [Due date: December 2, 2013]
note: more information will be given on bb under course documents