During the Academic Year
1. A monthly (except January) seminar on topics pertinent to predoctoral students.
2. Academic assistance: Tutors will be provided as requested.
3. Advising: Meet with the advisor to discuss academic and career choices.
4. Library: Resources available to choose a graduate school and take the GRE.
5. Computers, printers, and scanner are available in the office for student use.
6. Graduate school application service:
Ask the McNair Office to obtain catalogs and application forms for
7. Assistance in obtaining a mentor.
8. Newsletter : Scholars will receive six newsletters per year that highlight scholar successes, scholarships, deadlines for the GRE, and other events.
9. Phone calls: Scholars
may use the phone in the McNair office to call graduate schools
and scholarship organizations.
McNair staff assists scholars with letters of recommendation and
help in editing application essays.
11. E-mail: Important
messages are sent out to all scholars by e-mail.
12. Web site: The
Web Site lists scholars and their research. Scholars are
provided tutoring to prepare or improve their academic web pages.
13. Fee waiver: Fee waivers
for graduate applications from participating institutions are available.
The current list of institutions is available from the University
of Rochester at: http://www.rochester.edu/College/McNair-Program/applicationIncentives.html
The SDSU program will not financially support any
McNair scholar who applies to Graduate school. We will work with
you to get a waiver, but we cannot support you with U.S. Department
of Education funds. If you do not receive a waiver from the Graduate
School you are applying to, regretfully we cannot help you.
14. Letter of recommendation: Letters
of recommendation are very important for acceptance into graduate
programs. In many cases, the letter of recommendation gives the
Graduate committee better insight into the overall promise of the
student than grades or GRE scores. The SDSU McNair Program has gained
a national reputation of writing strong, honest letters of recommendation
for its students. The McNair letter of recommendation has been recognized
by many Universities as a critical part of the evaluation material
of McNair Scholars application and has helped many students enter
competitive graduate programs.
The McNair letter of recommendation for graduate school, summer
research programs, and Internship/Scholarships/Fellowships will be
provided to McNair students who have completed all the necessary
McNair activities satisfactorily.
Satisfactory performance in the following McNair activities include:
attendance at all mandatory monthly meetings and workshops, submission
of all completed assignments, maintenance of a 3.0 GPA or higher,
participation in all cultural activities and all the summer research
The McNair staff will notify you in case there are activities that
you have not satisfactorily completed so you can address those issues
before you ask for a letter of recommendation.