Prefessional Development Colabrative Header  

    Home ||Current Students || FAQs || Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions

PDC Home


Programs & Courses

:: Current Students

Partnerships & Collaborations


Current Projects


Professional Resources


PDC Presentations


School Administrators




About Us




Site Credits

The Chalkboard (Forum)
Coursework Calendar



Home > FAQs

Thanks for your interest in PDC! On this page you'll answers to the questions people typically have our our program.

What programs are available?

The PDC offers programs that focus on mathematics or science. The Mathematics Specialist Certificate Program (MSCP) is designed for teachers in grades 3 – 6.

The Primary Mathematics Specialist Certificate Program (PMSCP) is for teachers in grades K – 3. We started our first PMSCP program in January 2004.

How long do they last?

The Mathematics Specialist Certificate Program takes 2 years to complete.

What results has the program produced?

Program participants have shown significant increases in their mathematics
content knowledge and knowledge of mathematics pedagogy. Schools with large
numbers of program participants have shown higher gains in mathematics
achievement than other schools.

What courses will I have and for how many credits?

The program includes 12 units total, including 6 units of education
coursework and 6 units of mathematics coursework. The courses are described
in the Course Content and Expectations section.

How much is the tuition?

Fees are subject to change from year to year as evaluated by the University's College of Extended Studies.

Do I have to pay for all 12 units at once?

No. You will pay for the courses as you enroll in them.

How do I pay for my courses?

Currently there are 3 established methods of payment: check (personal, cashier's or money order), credit card or PEP Funds.

Return to Top

What are PEP Funds?

PEP stands for Peer Enrichment Program. This program financially assists teachers who enroll in professional development courses or programs. Ask your School Administrator for more information to see if you are eligible to receive funding.

What is a Red ID?

A Red ID is your identification number while enrolled in the University and is used on all registration forms and official University paperwork in lieu of your social security number. You will be asked to give your social security number on all paperwork, but this is only to ensure that a new person is placed in the system and given a Red ID for future use.

If you do not know what your Red ID is, please contact Cherie Bloodworth, Registrar at the University's College of Extended Studies at 619-594-7116.

How do I request Transcripts?

To request Transcripts contact Cherie Bloodworth, Registrar at the University's College of Extended Studies at 619-594 7116.

How do I withdraw from the program or a course?

If you are currently enrolled in one of our programs or courses, and are no longer able to attend, you must contact Lori Albers, Program Manager for our program at or at 619-594-3403, who will verify if you are registered with the University and give you further instructions on how to officially withdraw from the University. This is important because the courses you take through our program are official University courses and if you do not officially withdraw you are in danger of receiving an "F" as a final grade. As soon this happens a notification will be sent to your instructor's and your records will be updated in case you decide to return to the program in the future.

Where do the classes meet?

Various county locations and SDSU campus.

What are the hours?

Classes meet from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm during the summer intensive session and
from 4:15 – 7:00 pm during the academic year.

Return to Top

How often do they meet?

The classes meet almost every week. We design the course calendar around
the SDCS school year calendar, so we take breaks in December and around
Spring Break.

How many teachers are in each class?

There will be between 20 to 30 teachers in each class.

How much homework will I have? Will I have to write long papers?

You should plan on spending approximately one hour each week doing
professional readings, written assignments,and/or homework. You won’t have
to write any long papers, such as term papers, but you will be asked to
reflect on readings, your teaching, and your students’ learning, and to plan
instruction based on those reflections.

What happens if I miss a class?

If you miss a class, you should contact your instructor directly to
arrange for possible make-ups.

Do math classes that I have taken in the past count towards the requirements of this program?

Yes, they can, if they are approved. They should be very similar to
the ones we offer—we’ll need to review your transcripts. Contact Karen Payne
at for more information.

Do I have to miss work to participate?

No. All classes are held in the summer and in the late

Who do I contact for information about custom workshops for schools or districts?

Contact Dr. Nadine Bezuk at or at 619-594-3971.

Return to Top



The Chalkboard | Program Results | About Us
Professional Resources | FAQs | Contact Us




Sponsored by:

Go to SDSU home page