Overview | Coursework | Admissions | Financial
Assistance | Legalese | Handbook
MSED Admission Requirements
After reviewing the admission requirements below, please begin the admissions process by following the instructions on the Decision Desk page for the Mathematics and Science Education Ph.D. program.
Math and Science Applications Welcome
To be considered for admission, applicants
- A strong baccalaureate degree from an accredited
institution; GPA must be at least 3.25/4.00 in the last 30
semester hours of upper-division work
- A master's degree
in mathematics, biology, chemistry, or physics; overall GPA
must be at least 3.50/4.00 in graduate coursework
- Recent (within the past 5 years) Graduate Record Examination General
- At least three letters of recommendation
- All departmental materials submitted by January 7
Please note that the Cal State Apply application must be completed one week prior to the program application. Please plan to complete the CSU State Apply application by December 31st at the latest.
Prior teaching experience in the disciplinary field is also strongly
MSED has a heavy reading and writing component as well as multiple oral presentations and as such, very strong English Language skills are an integral part of success in the program.
Late applications will be considered on a space-available basis to February 1.
Additional requirements (PDF) for students entering with a Master's Degree in Mathematics Education.
MSED ADMISSIONS PROCESS
Follow the process outlined below.
For more detailed information regarding the university admissions process, please visit the Graduate Admissions Website and the Decision Desk page for MSED.
For department-specific questions, email the coordinator.
*International applicants need to follow unique steps. These are address by the International Student Center .
Step 1: The Mathematics and Science Education Department Application
(This must be received by January 7 to be considered for fall admission. Note that the Cal State Apply application [see Step 2] must be completed at least one week earlier [Dec. 31].)
Complete the MSED program application at http://aztecgrad.sdsu.edu/gra/gradapps.aspx, including the following materials:
- Copies (originals not necessary) of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
Two statements: one in which you discuss how this program may help you meet your career goals, and another a description of one or two research questions that are of potential interest to you. Discuss how your interest in these questions developed (please limit your responses to 2 double-spaced pages for each part.)
- Three letters of recommendation, at least one of which is from a faculty member in the area of your specialization. (Professors will be invited to complete their recommendations electronically – please be sure to provide names and email addresses when prompted during the on-line departmental application.)
Finalists in the application process will be invited for a personal or Skype interview. Please do not send any materials to UCSD. On the basis of the decisions of the Admissions Committee, students entering the program will be asked to complete a UCSD graduate application and pay their UCSD fee prior to enrollment.
Step 2: Complete the University On-line Application - by December 31.
All applicants must fill out an on-line application on Cal State Apply and pay the required fee. An ID# will then be assigned which allows tracking of application status on-line.’
Step 3: Submit Official Document to University Graduate Admissions by April 1
- Official transcripts from all U.S. colleges and universities attended.
- GRE (and if applicable, TOEFL) scores sent directly from Educational Testing Services (ETS) using SDSU’s Institution Code 4682 (program code 5101).
Graduate Admissions Document Processing Unit
San Diego State University
San Diego, CA 92182-7416