April 10, 2014|
Dean, College of Sciences
- President’s Leadership Fund (PLF) Faculty/Staff Awards Deadline is April 11 See form» Hand Deliver complete nomination forms to the President's Office - Manchester Hall 3340
- Microsoft is ending support for Windows XP on April 8, 2014. To avoid potential problems apply all Windows updates as soon as they come out on Tuesday, April 8; make backup copies of any needed data on your computer; note the State or Foundation tag number on your computer and provide it when you contact SCEC Help Desk at x44881 or firstname.lastname@example.org to determine if your computer can be upgraded to Windows 7 or higher. If you use software that only runs on XP so you must continue to use XP after April 8, the computer should not be connected to the network. SCEC Help Desk can assist you in determining your options to best protect your computer, your data and the campus network.
- Assessment Updates and Timelines From Geoff Chase. We are preparing for our next re-accreditation cycle with WASC. We now also have to report to WASC on an annual basis and provide evidence of student learning along with data on graduation and retention. WEAVE provides us with the means to meet these requirements. For detailed information and suggestions on finalizing your AY12/13 WEAVE content, please see documentation» If you need additional help or feedback Prof. Kathy Williams, our COS representative on the Student Learning Outcomes Committee.
- The One Day in May Symposium on Tuesday May 20 will focus on how SDSU can take a leadership role in the national and regional conversation about student learning and achievement. Please mark your calendars. Registration information will follow.
- John D. Schopp Memorial Lecture on April 11 at 7:30 PM, GMCS 333 -- "Let There be Light: The History of the Universe from the First Billion Years", Dr. Bahram Mobasher, Professor of Physics and Astronomy, UC Riverside
- President's Lecture series on Thursday, April 17 from 1:30 - 3:00 PM, "Disruptive Thinking", Susanna Kass. Please sign up»
- The Center for Science and Media special lecture on April 17 from 5-6 PM in the Shiley BioScience Center, David Poulson from the Knight Center for Environmental Journalism at Michigan State University on “ Eagles and Beer: Explaining the Environment in a New Media Landscape." RSVP» by Monday April 14.
- American Chemical Society Seminar on Thursday, April 17 at 6 PM in GMCS 333 -- "Prebiotic Chemistry and the Origin of Life on Earth, and Elsewhere?" Dr. Jeffrey Bada (SDSU Alum)
- STEM Education, Economics, and Equity (SEEE) Seminar on Monday, April 28 from 4-6:30 PM at SDG&E Energy Innovation Center--Post-Secondary Online STEM Education: Promise or Problem? Guest Speaker, Dr. Anthony (Eamonn) Kelly, Professor of Educational Psychology at George Mason University. For more information and to register.»
- College of Sciences Commencement Rehearsal will be on Thursday, May 15 at 8 AM in Viejas Arena. All members of the platform party, PhD candidates with their hooding professors, and volunteers must attend. Master and Bachelor graduates do not attend.
- College of Sciences Commencement Ceremony is on Friday, May 16 at 1 PM in Viejas Arena.
Around the College
- Dr. Joanna Brooks will be the new the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies in Graduate and Research Affairs. Dr. Brooks has served as served as chair of the Department since 2009.
- Congratulations to our NSF NSF Grad Res Fellowship honorable mention: Linda Honaker (Chemistry) MARC Scholar and Tara Fetgerolf (Astronomy) IMSD Scholar.