September 6, 2008|
By Paul Etzel
SDSU Astronomy Joins 100th Anniversary Celebration of Cleveland National Forest
On July 1, 1908, President Theodore Roosevelt proclaimed the Cleveland National Forest in tribute to those past, present and future who care for the land and serve the people. The forest was named in honor of President Grover Cleveland who understood the importance of preservation and wise use of forest lands for the people of a growing America.
Eduardo Marin, Rebecca Curto, Owen Martin, Paul Etzel, Carolyn Heffner
The Cleveland National Forest is one of the earliest parcels set aside by the United States Department of Agriculture, Forest Service (USFS).
A Centennial Celebration was held on Saturday, September 6, 2008 at Dos Picos Park in Ramona by the USFS with many partners in attendance, which included representatives of the SDSU Astronomy Department and Mount Laguna Observatory (MLO). SDSU operates MLO on 15 acres of National Public Lands in the Cleveland National Forest under Special Permit issued by the USFS.
MLO is currently celebrating its 40th year of operation in support of the SDSU Astronomy Department for its research, teaching, and training programs. SDSU also operates a Summer Visitor's Program at MLO in cooperation with the USFS, which is targeted towards the visitors and campers in the Forest. MLO is currently undergoing a series of infrastructure upgrades, many at the request of the USFS as part of SDSU's permit renewal.
Related upgrades have also been made to water supply and wildfire suppression facilities with University support. SDSU's Astronomy Department has also received two recent grants from the National Science Foundation targeted towards upgrades of its scientific infrastructure. Academic partners include the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, and the University of Kansas, Lawrence.