The Universidad Nacional de Córdoba is the oldest in the Republic of Argentina and one of the first in America. Its origins go back to the first quarter of the XVII century when the Jesuits opened in Córdoba the Maximum School, the foundation for what it would be the future University. It was in 1613 the first time when higher education was formally established under the directorship of Bishop Juan Fernando de Trejo y Sanabria and the trusteeship of the Jesuit priests.
On August 8, 1621, the Pope Gregorio XV granted to the Maximum School the authority to confer academic degrees. The Jesuits were in charge of the University until 1767. Right after, the Franciscans were given complete administrative control over the University. During this period, the University followed an exclusively theological-philosophical academic curriculum. Shortly before the end of the century, the first group of law students graduated from the University.
In 1856, the
University becomes nationalized and left under the dependency and direction
of the national government.
In 1918, the youth of Córdoba initiated a movement to which voices from all over the continent were quickly added fighting for the democratization of education. This movement is known as the University Reform. This reform had an enormous political, social and historical impact throughout Latin America.