The Coastal and Marine Institute maintains a record of peer-reviewed publications from research performed wholly or in part at the Coastal and Marine Institute Laboratory.
1. Carson HS (2010) Population connectivity of the Olympia oyster in Southern California. Limnology and Oceanography 55:134-148.
2. Virata MJ, Zeller RW (2010) Ascidians: an invertebrate chordate model to study Alzheimer’s disease pathogenesis. Disease Models and Mechanisms 3:377-385.
3. Edwards MS, Kim KY (2010) Diurnal variation in relative photosynthetic performance in giant kelp Macrocystis pyrifera (Phaeophyceae, Laminariales) at different depths as estimated using PAM fluorometry. Aquatic Botany 92:119-128.
4. Moore EC, Hovel KA (2010) Relative influence of habitat complexity and proximity to patch edges on seagrass epifaunal communities. Oikos 119:1299-1311.
5. Cheng BS, Hovel KA (2010) Biotic resistance to invasion along an estuarine gradient. Oecologia 164:1049-1059.
6. Farlin JP, Lewis LS, Anderson TW, Lai C-T (2010) Functional diversity of amphipods revealed by stable isotopes in an eelgrass ecosystem. Marine Ecology Progress Series 420:277-281.
7. Fejtek SM, Edwards MS (2011) Elk kelp, Pelagophycus porra, distribution limited due to susceptibility of microscopic stages to high light. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 396:194-201.
8. Komoroske LM, Lewison RL, Seminoff JA, Deheyn DD, Dutton PH (2011) Pollutants and the health of green sea turtles resident to an urbanized estuary in San Diego, California. Chemosphere 84:544-552.
9. Lemons G, Lewison RL, Komoroske LM, Gaos A, Lai C-T, Dutton PH, Eguchi T, LeRoux R, Seminoff JA (2011) Trophic ecology of green sea turtles in a highly urbanized bay: insights from stable isotopes and mixing models. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 405:25-32.
10. Carney L, Bohonak AJ, Edwards MS, Alberto F (2013) Genetic and experimental evidence for a mixed age, mixed origin bank of kelp microscopic stages in southern California. Ecology 94:1955-1965.
11. Long JD, Hay ME (2012) The impact of trait-mediated indirect interactions in marine systems, pgs. 47-68, In: The Ecology and Evolution of Trait-Mediated Indirect Interactions (Ohgushi T, Schmitz O, Holt R, eds.) Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK
12. Long JD, Cochrane E, Dolecal RE (2011) Previous disturbance enhances the negative effects of trampling on barnacles. Marine Ecology Progress Series 437:165-173.
13. Colvin MA, Hentschel BT (2011) Seasonal variability in the juvenile growth rate of an infaunal polychaete is related to major rain events. Limnology and Oceanography 56:2095-2102.
14. Matthews JA, Hentschel BT (2011) Measuring in-situ growth rates of an infaunal polychaete at different intertidal elevations. Marine Ecology Progress Series 442:111-121.
15. Evans L, Edwards MS (2011) Bioaccumulation of copper and zinc by the giant kelp Macrocystis pyrifera. Algae 26: 1-11.
16. Dodge CA, Edwards MS (2012) Seasonal variation in the effects of food availability on gametogenesis in the purple urchin (Strongylocentrotus purpuratus). Marine Biology 159:427-433.
17. Lannin RK, Hovel KA (2011) Variable prey density modifies the effects of seagrass habitat structure on predator-prey interactions. Marine Ecology Progress Series 442:59-70.
18. Komoroske LM, Lewison RL, Seminoff JA, Deutschman DD, Deheyn DD (2012) Trace metals in an urbanized estuarine sea turtle food web in San Diego Bay, California. Science of the Total Environment 417-418: 108-116.
19. Matthews JA, Hentschel BT (2012) In-situ rates of body growth and palp regeneration of a spionid polychaete following simulated sublethal predation. Marine Biology 159:1039-1048.
20. Lewis LS, Anderson TW (2012) Top-down control of epifauna by fishes enhances seagrass production. Ecology 93:2746-2757.
21. Tait KJ, Hovel KA (2012) Do predation risk and food availability modify prey and mesopredator microhabitat selection in eelgrass (Zostera marina) habitat? Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 426:60-67.
22. McDonald BD, Madrak SV, Lewison RL, Seminoff JA, Eguchi T (2012) Home ranges of East Pacific green turtles, Chelonia mydas, in a highly urbanized temperate foraging ground. Marine Ecology Progress Series 461:211-221.
23. McDonald BD, Lewison RL (2013) Fine scale diel movement of the East Pacific green turtle, Chelonia mydas, in a highly urbanized environment. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 443:56-64.
24. Dolecal, RE, Long JD (2013) Ephemeral macroalgae display spatial variation in relative palatability. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 442:233-237.
25. Morton DN, Anderson TW (2013) Spatial patterns of invertebrate settlement in giant kelp forests. Marine Ecology Progress Series 485:75-89.
26. Withy-Allen KR, Hovel KA (2013) California spiny lobster (Panulirus interruptus) movement behaviour and habitat use: implications for the effectiveness of marine protected areas. Marine and Freshwater Research 64:359-371.
27. Jones CL, Anderson TW, Edwards MS (2013) Evaluating eelgrass site quality by the settlement, performance, and survival of a marine fish. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 445:61-68.
28. Long JD, Porturas L (2013) Seaweed traits linked to wave exposure determine predator avoidance behaviors. Marine Ecology Progress Series 483:133-142.
29. VanMeter K, Edwards MS (2013) The effects of mysid grazing on kelp zoospore survival and settlement. Journal of Phycology 49:896-901.
30. Coates JH, Hovel KA, Butler JL, Klimley AP, Morgan SG (2013) Movement and home range of pink abalone Haliotis corrugata: implications for restoration and population recovery. Marine Ecology Progress Series 486:189-201.
31. Long JD, Toth G, Pavia H (2013) Proximate and ultimate causes for transatlantic variation in seaweed defenses. Marine Ecology Progress Series 493:83-89.
32. Castorani CN, Hovel KA, Williams SL, Baskett ML (2014) Disturbance facilitates the coexistence of antagonistic ecosystem engineers in California estuaries. Ecology 95:2277-2288.
33. Coates JH, Hovel KA (2014) Incorporating movement and reproductive asynchrony in a simulation model of fertilization success for a marine broadcast spawner. Ecological Modelling 283:8-18.
34. Coates JH, Hovel KA, Butler JL, Bohonak AJ (2014) Recruitment and recovery of pink abalone (Haliotis corrugata) in a historically overexploited kelp forest: are local populations self-sustaining? Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology (in press).