The following is a listing of some equipment and supplies we frequently use for restoration projects, and some suppliers from which they are they are available. Some of these items have not been scientifically field tested, but may be of interest to restorationists.
Tree shelters have worked well but are not a panacea for all situations and species. Plants with upright growth forms and rapid growth rates seem particularly well suited for tree shelters. The benefits in reducing transplant shock seem to extend to many other species as well and a 2-3 month starting shelter may be generally advised. We are currently studying the environment (moisture, light, and CO2 levels) within TreePee, Tubex, and wire cage treeshelters.
- Treepee Recycled plastic made in two part cones with built-in wire pegs. Currently being studied.
Laytonville, CA 95454
- Tubex Treeshelters Double wall plastic shelters. Stable, easy to install. Flared top. Two colors. Currently being studied.
75 Bidwell Street, Suite 105
St. Paul, MN 55107
- Tree Pro The Tree Pro shelters (8" to 6 feet) are made of polyethylene and are assembled on site. The top is flared to reduce damage.
Tree Pro Tree Protectors
445 Lourdes Lane
Lafayette, IN 47905
- BLUE-X The Blue-X shelters are made of rolled recycled X ray film.
All Season Wholesale Nursery
10656 Sheldon Woods Way
Elk Grove, CA 95624
- Wire screen fences (currently being studied), tubes, and cages. Wire fences, cages and boxes can be made in any shape desired. Rabbits and rodents rarely cross three foot tall fences. Cattle and burros can be controlled with six foot cages made with T-posts and welded wire mesh or tall treeshelters. We have found that 1/2"-2" wire mesh threaded over 1/4" reinforcing bar stakes ("pencil rod") works very well. These can be readily dismantled for reuse on other sites.
Many commercial and homemade solutions have been tried to little avail. Systemic repellents included in container mix appear most likely to help.
7868 11th Avenue, Burnaby, BC
We recently published a paper in Restoration and Management notes on techniques for plant establishment in arid ecosystems, in which we give a detailed explanation of containers and soil mixes (ask for our paper).
- Plant bands are often the best option for growing plants. Costs are low and 2x2x14" bands provide a good root:shoot ratio.
Stuewe and Sons (cells, foam blocks, plant bands)
2290 SE Kieger Island Rd
Corvallis, Oregon 97333
International Reforestation Supply (IRS)
PO Box 5547
Eugene, OR 97405
13154 County Rd 140
Salida, CO 81201
- Cannon Tree Planter (IRS)
- Echo EA-410
- Subaru EH035
"...is water bound in the form of a gel. When placed in contact with microbiological life forms found in soil, DRiWATER dissolves back into water at a controlled rate of flow" (from brochure). A slow release drip irrigation system.
715 South Point Blvd., Suite P
Petaluma, California 94954
FAX: (707) 528-3391
- Pumps - Honda WB20x
- Tanks - Waterboy Transporter
- Water jugs (3 gal Igloo) BM
- Battery irrigation valve (Galcon) GS
- Watering cans (French) GS
128 Intervale Road
Burlington, VT 05401
- Backpack Sprayer - Stihl SG20