The Rees-Stealy Research Foundation (RSRF) Laboratory is a non-profit
research facility with the mission of conducting applied biomedical
research. The Foundation was established in 1938 by Drs. Rees
and Stealy, founders of the Medical Group. Homer D. Peabody, Jr.
M.D., Director of the Rees-Stealy Medical Group has served as
the Foundation's Executive Director since 1972. The Laboratory
originally was in the main Rees-Stealy building at 2001 Fourth
Street, but moved to a 1905 two-story structure at the corner
of Fourth and Hawthorn in 1968.
The primary research focus of the Laboratory is heart cell physiology,
pharmacology, biochemistry, and molecular biology. Experiments
at RSRF use isolated heart cells from the rat, human atrial and
ventricular cells are also used in some studies.
An emphasis is also placed at the Laboratory upon the training
of graduate and undergraduate students, an activity shared by
all its professional staff. Undergraduate students from SDSU,
USD, UCSD and local community colleges have participated in the
research activities of the Laboratory.