Opportunities for Faculty Participation in the MSED Program
Faculty | Graduates | Staff
| Faculty Opportunities
- Attend MSED colloquia, brown bags, and lectures by visiting scholars at both campuses.
- Be a guest speaker at an MSED seminar.
- Collaborate with MSED faculty on research related to the learning and teaching of mathematics and science.
- Provide a research opportunity for an MSED student. For example, your classroom or your research group can serve as a setting for a student project on cognition in mathematics or science, or your department can be a source of data for survey-based research projects.
- Research funding in the sciences from agencies such as the National Institutes of Health and the National Science Foundation increasingly requires an educational or assessment component. You could collaborate with MSED faculty and students to develop these components of your proposals.
- Work with MSED students to improve undergraduate instruction in your department, for example, by introducing and evaluating innovations such as “clicker” technology.
- Work with MSED students to translate basic research in the sciences or mathematics into implications for educational practice, curricular materials, or community outreach projects.
- Serve on doctoral committees for MSED students, or as a resource for students to consult in connection with their thesis research.
- MSED can support other departmental efforts to improve teaching, such as a teaching seminar or “preparing future faculty” program for graduate students.